Thursday, July 26, 2012

Color Blocking down deep in my soul.....

Sew Lovlies.... I was with my best gal last night and she gracefully purchased moi 2 fabulous jersey skirts at JC Penny's that were on clearance for my upcoming birthday. First of all, I haven't been in a Penny's (as we call it) for a while and I have to say, I was impressed at how they have "stepped up their game" in the fashion world. I saw racks of Chevron and bright colors, which is so in right now. I was very surprised with how youthful the clothes looked. I remember hating to shop with my Mother in Law because she would want to go to Pennys and it was all hideous, matronly frocks. I also love that the maxi dress/skirt is so hot right now, because I love them and wear them all the time! Now when they all go on clearance perhaps I can snatch a few. You know this thrifty super cheap gal is not paying retail...period.

So I said all of that to say this.......

Do you color block? Do you know what color blocking is? Color blocking in Chrissy Couture land is basically pairing up bright solid colors together, even if you don't think they go, THEY DO. :) Now, I would caution that even Chrissy Couture doesn't extreme color block, but I love to mix a good print with colors that wouldn't "normally" go together. Most people match a color with a neutral (Gray, Black or Brown). Color blocking is using a neutral as your accent! Most of the time, its with bright colors, but you can color block with brights, pastels, earth tones....you name it. I would stick with a genre though...Unless you are a extreme fashionista and want to try and mix brights with earth tones...if you love it, that's all that matters.

For instance, I color blocked yesterday and wished I would have gotten a picture. Orange/Coral Maxi dress with a purple CC cardigan, cinched with a black belt.  I love me some color blocking!

I also color blocked today with my new hot pink maxi jersey skirt! (Thanks GG! ;))
 

What do you think? I love how the almost jade green pops against the hot pink. I just threw on a black cardi to keep from freezing in my office, but it could so do without it. I would probably belt it if I didn't have the cardi to break up the "waist line".

Here are some of my favorite color blocking combos below.


 

Thinking about giving it a try? The best part about color blocking is it fits any body shape/type...and authenticity...any skin tone!

Check out the color wheel below to get started. You can basically block any 2 or 3 colors, and then use neutrals as an accent. I have an old "fashion rules letter" from my husbands grandma's fashion "bible" that stated you should only wear 3 colors and your hair color should be counted as one of those colors! Ha. Isn't it funny how fashion changes but stays the same? Maybe we just always look for ways to "break the rules".
 
Just keep your skin tone in mind when color blocking. I am fairer skinned, so I tend to stay away from yellow. If you have a darker skin tone, totally rock that Yellow with a few others. I think you can throw a print in as well. Its all a trick of the eye anyway and if you are confident in it, others will love it.

 (I find myself thinking of "field of dreams" ..if you build it they will come mantra....but more like.."if you love it, others will"....yet I digress...)

So next time you are thinking of doing the same old solid/print with a neutral (black, grey or brown), try something new and throw on another color instead. Need a new cardigan to throw on and start baby step color blocking? You can see a super easy tutorial here on how to make one out of an shirt.

Can you tell I love to color block? ha. Yeah, I am pretty much obsessed....but if loving color is wrong....honey I don't wanna be right. :)

Have fun!

Stay calm....and Color block it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment