Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sew....No Sew Socks


So not only do I love to create, re-fashion, and (humbly) copy things I see online, I love to thrift. This is no secret. I live on a pretty tight budget and rarely do I spend money on something retail. I will goodwill or thrift shop and if I see something that the kids can wear now, or in the future, I will pick it up. Especially if at the Goodwill Outlet where you pay very little for your items.

I picked up some red and white striped knit tights for Miss O and knew that they would probably only fit this winter, but at the cost, I couldn’t pass them up.


Well the first time she wore them she came home from daycare with a little hole in them.

Crackers.


Now I am going to have to pitch them in the trash. Or do I? What if I just snipped the bottom of them and made some cute socks? I mean the divorce rate among my children’s socks is quite frightening. I am well aware that I probably am not the first person to come up with this, but when I think of something on my own, (without pinterest, or fabulous blogs I follow) I get excited. J

Have a pair of tights that are getting too small for your littles? Why not just make them some extra cute socks? Its really so easy!

First off, because they are knit, they will likely not fray and you may not even need to sew them. I wanted and excuse to sew, so I sewed mine.

First take your tights and just line them up, heel to heel.


Decide how long or short you want them. And cut them both straight across.


 

Technically you could be done. What’s not to love about new socks. If you want to fold down and hem them, its quite easy as well.

I turned mine inside out, folded over a half inch or so, and zig zag stitched around.


Then flipped back and Wah-lah. If they are a little big, you can always shirr with a little elastic thread, but I found that mine held up just fine. I think if you use a pair that is getting small it will work best.


And there are the tootsies being modeled. I needed a cute little outfit to go with them and remembered this darling little sweater I picked up at the outlet months ago. 


One little IU (Go Hoosiers) bow to match and we are ready to go!


Hope I have inspired to you to make some socks. I mean if you are just going to pitch them or donate them, you might as well just make some cute socks. If you don’t sew, you can still do this one!

What do you think? Cute?

Until next time….

Keep Calm…..and keep on a TIGHT budget…

No comments:

Post a Comment