Friday, May 17, 2013

The Mini Infinity Dress

So I came across this infinity dress the other day and fell in love!


I am not a green fan whatsoever, but I have to admit I love the minty color. The versatility of this dress is amazing. I am pretty modest and even with a strapless dress, or tank dress wear something over or under it. That’s why I loved this dress. It can be made to cover more or less, which in my case the more is a benefit! She gives you a quickie tutorial (diaryofamadcrafter) and links here (Sewlikemymom), which is a full tutorial. I have had a few requests of this dress since I saw it, (even want one myself) but before I dove directly into the deep, I thought I would give Livy one and see what I was getting into.

The Mini Infinity


So here is her completed dress. I just posed her 4 different ways.  
Double straps to one side. (probably my favorite way!)


 
Straps up each side. 


Strap-less. (Her little chubbiness spilling over the top) She wasn't a fan of this style.


  Just one strap up one side. This where I promised a sucker if she held still one more time!

  The material I used was a vintage stretch polyester. It had some give, but it was very thin too. Stella(my machine) and I kept having some issues sewing it though. I tried using a zig zag stitch since I read somewhere that its better to use that on stretchy fabrics, but the thread kept breaking. I don’t know if my tension is to high or or not high enough, but when it would sew fairly decent it kept bunching the fabric. I am not usually a violent person but about the 8th time my thread broke I smacked her and told her to stop it. She straighted up a little, but I still had to deal with the bunching fabric.

Since Livy doesn’t really have a “waist” I made hers a little different. I made hers more of a tube dress first before adding the straps. It is a little more snug than I had planned so I don't know if I underestimated the level of stretch or if I measured incorrectly. 


I love how it was supposed to be a maxi dress for her….anyone notice its length?

Also since I was having so much trouble with bunching of the fabric, I tried to do shorter straps then what it suggests. It turned out fine, but next time, I will see why I need longer ones. I didn't get much of the "wrapped" effect because there wasn't much left to wrap.

What do you think?

I think making a mini is the way to go! Now I have a little practice under my belt for a real deal adult dress.

I don’t know what I love more, the dress or her cheesy expressions. OK, its her cheesy expressions.

Until Next time….

Keep Calm…..and Mini Infinity it!


2 comments:

  1. Love this - how cute!

    I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has children's clothes as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! I think I linked up correctly! :) Thanks for the invite! :):)

      Delete