Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Ruffler

So did everyone have a fabulous weekend? Mine turned out pretty well. Yesterday I felt like super MOM. Got home from work with a plan. Take the kids for a walk. Check. Fix dinner. Check. Get through dinner somewhat peacefully. Check. Get the mess all cleaned up. Check. Work on some Chrissy Couture…Check check check. I was so excited to get back into the swing of things since vacation. I started on my “Freedom Wreath” as I am calling it. It gave me a great opportunity to use my new ruffle foot.

Ruffle foot? Not sure what I’m talking about. Well when I first started sewing about 6 months ago, I could not gather (ruffle) for anything. I would break my string every time. Now that I have had some practice, I am better, but the minute I heard of this ruffle foot, I was on a mission to get one.

My sweet hubby knew I wanted one for some time, and went and ordered it and picked it up. This is what it is.


Looks kind of scary doesn’t it? It really just looks scary. All you do is replace the foot on your machine with this one.


There are 3 settings at the top to choose from. 1, 6, 12, (and star, which is no ruffle). These indicate how many stitches in between each ruffle. For instance, the 1 setting is going to ruffle every stitch whereas the 6 will ruffle every 6 stitches.




There are 1000 YouTube videos talking about how to use them and you will find that once you get over the “look” of it, its very easy to use.

Because you do have to take a piece off and put a new one on, I would suggest using the ruffle foot if you had many things to ruffle. I am working on my Freedom Wreath and so I needed many strips of ruffled fabric. Instead of stitching every one, pulling and gathering the thread, I simply ran each one through this ruffle foot and Wa-lah!



 




The great part is, it was only $12! I probably won’t end up using it every time I need a ruffle, but if I want to make ruffle ribbon trim or ruffle something thicker like denim, its totally the way to go.


After I got all my strips cut and ruffled, I made a few ruffle flowers. They aren’t done, but you can get the idea.


In the midst of my ruffling, Noah broke my foam wreath throwing it like a Frisbee.  Needless to say, Momma Couture was not happy. I will try and finish the wreath tonight.


In the meantime, I had been wanting to make me and Livy some of these knot-twisted headbands. So I whipped one of those up super quick. They are really easy as well.


Can’t wait to get the wreath finished so you can see it. I hope it turns out as fab in real life as in my head.

Until then…


Stay Calm….and Ruffle on….


















No comments:

Post a Comment