Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Newspaper pattern and Momma

So my momma drove about 13 hours or more to come and see me and my sister this last weekend. I got to spend Friday with her and then she left to go to my sisters on Saturday. In the last 6 months or so of this sewing adventure I have been on, I have been using my mommas machine. She made all kinds of clothes for us when we were children. This was the first time I really had her all to myself where we could actually do a project together and she could teach me some basics or help me to learn something new. I pulled out a few patterns I thought about undertaking, but she had her own idea.

She rough sketched a few things that she thought about making. I was a little hesitant at first, but I knew she knew what she was doing. She took Livy's measurements and wrote them all down on a piece of paper. I was going to add a picture of the sketch, but the photo quality was so poor, you couldn't really see anything.

So we then measured and cut our pattern pieces. Here is the top. And if you need a new Kia, I guess you can get one for $99 a month. (haha)

 

I kept asking, "when do we get to choose the fabric?" and Mom would say, "not yet, we need to make sure we have this part done first". I was just like a little impatient kid waiting in line at a candy store.
Finally she said "OK, lets go look at your fabric.". Music to my ears!

I really wanted to use some of my funky vintage fabric, but mom insisted on a cotton, so we went with this fabulous strawberry print I got at HWY 50 sales.


My lady Pin cushion got lots of use on Friday.....and she is so cute I just wanted to share her.

So after we had gotten to the point of what were were going to make, we had to make things more difficult and make it reversible. So its strawberries on one side, and solid red on the other, with a ruffle of opposite fabric.

Here are some "action" shots that I was only allowed to put on here as long as I didn't get her face! (love you mom!)


Some of the first stitches....

Stitching some ruffles.....

Trying to figure out the correct way to lay everything so we don't have to take it apart..(again;)

After many hours of laughing, sewing, seam ripping, sewing, ironing, trimming, sewing, searching for elastic, and more sewing. It was finished.

Here is Livy modeling it the next day. We had to finish it because Mom would be heading up to my sisters. I think we finally put it on the hanger at midnight on Friday night.

 

The back view.

We even made little bloomers to go underneath. You can see them in a few of the pics.

 
Playing at my company picnic.

See her fabulous matching hair bow? I whipped this up in about 10 minutes. It wouldn't have taken that long except I had to wait on the hot glue gun to well.....heat up. These are super easy and I will post a tutorial on it in the next few days.


Overall the weekend was super fun with her. Noah got to play on a huge trampoline with the bungee cords and asked if we could get one for home.

This helped me conquer my nerves of patterns so much. I plan to possibly make more of these or just get some of my patterns out and go for it. I hope you enjoyed sharing in some of our fun.

Until next time....

Stay Calm....and try making your own pattern....









No comments:

Post a Comment